Venting

I am sick and tired of people telling me that "When you have your own kids, you'll understand, you'll think differently." And "Believe me, as a parent, I'm telling you this is the way it is." As if my opinions/feelings/beliefs aren't valid until I have children! As if I'm less capable as a teaching professional because I'm not a parent yet.

I know I have a lot to learn in the realm of parenthood, and I know that some of my ideas about things will change. But I do work with 570 children 9 months out of the year, I've been teaching professionally for over 4 years, nannied for multiple families, worked with children all over the world in various circumstances, etc. etc, so I don't think I will be too surprised about things, esp certain issues that have come up lately. And I don't think my opinions on those certain issues will change much.

It would just be nice to be respected enough for who I am now, rather than who I'll be later. After all, what if I never have kids? Does that mean I would be less respected by others? If so, then that is downright discrimination and is just plain wrong!

Comments

Alyssa/Jo said…
Yeah, those types of comments may apply to me since my experience with children is about zero. You on the other hand could probably say, "Until you teach 570 children 9 months out of the year, have taught professionally for over 4 years, nannied for multiple families, worked with children all over the world in various circumstances, etc. etc, you'll understand."

You are awesome SarahLynn!
Stacy Lynn said…
You're amazing and your children will be too. Obviously some people you interact with do not know you as well as they think. I do hope when you become a parent you stick it to them and show you do not waver on your opinions/feeling/beliefs. That will be awesome!
cardwellclan said…
I am so sorry! Why do people do that? Doesn't EVERYONE hate that?! That is annoying. Yell at them, but in a polite, professional way. Sigh, don't really yell, I guess I shouldn't be telling you that :) Love ya lots Sarah--you are amazing!

Becky
Unknown said…
The real test will be if you ever say that to me AFTER you have kids ;-) ha ha ha ha. It might be a hard thing not to say...

Popular posts from this blog

4th of July

A Happy New Year

Summer Begins!