Insert Title Here
As part of therapy (Jeremy is my therapist), I am being challenged to write this blog post in less than 15 minutes. Why? Let me explain...
Jeremy and I are trying to figure out why I am spending so much time working at the school. I swear I am always doing things that have to be done. I have a priority list, I am pretty organized, etc. Well, I'm starting to realize that a lot of my time is spent writing and re-reading emails and letters to teachers or parents.
Last Sunday, Jeremy caught me preparing a letter for some parents. I typed up the first draft in about 20 minutes (way too long for length of content) and then I spent an additional 45 minutes tweaking, rereading and editing. He kept trying to tell me that it was fine, but I couldn't get myself to leave it be!
Then, during the week, I caught myself working on a short email to another teacher for nearly 35 minutes. Later, I found myself spending another 30 mintues writing a different email. It was rediculous.
I know why I do this. During my first year of teaching, I had a very bad experience that had to do with emails. I sent an email to my boss about the janitors locking my room when I was still in the building, either when I went to the bathroom or was working in the supply room. Since I was not the only teacher having this problem, I asked her if it was possible for the teachers to lock their own rooms when we left the building. Later, she tried to use that email against me to prove that I am an insubordinate employee. It was an awful situation to be in--this only being a sliver of it-- and needless to say, aside from everything else that happened, I have become totally paranoid about any email that I ever send to anyone.
Okay, it's been fifteen minutes. Ugh!! I'm not done yet!!
So now, in an effort to avoid ever being in a pickle like that again, I scrutinize everything I write. I have really become obsessed with it. And it drives me nuts knowing that no matter what I write, and no matter how nice it sounds, someone could still take it offensively. Some of you will say, "so just talk to them in person!" But I can't go running around the school just to ask someone if they are going to have their class come to music due to holiday parties. Yes, I get obsessed and paranoid about even sending the most mundane emails.
Hopefully I can begin to get rid of this obsession by writing blog posts without obsessing over it for hours like I usually do. Hence, the reason I don't have a real title for this blog, as I usually spend too much time coming up with one. I guess I'll keep you "posted" on how getting rid of this obsession goes!
[Ahh! I have a lot of anxiety posting this with only re-reading it twice!!]
Jeremy and I are trying to figure out why I am spending so much time working at the school. I swear I am always doing things that have to be done. I have a priority list, I am pretty organized, etc. Well, I'm starting to realize that a lot of my time is spent writing and re-reading emails and letters to teachers or parents.
Last Sunday, Jeremy caught me preparing a letter for some parents. I typed up the first draft in about 20 minutes (way too long for length of content) and then I spent an additional 45 minutes tweaking, rereading and editing. He kept trying to tell me that it was fine, but I couldn't get myself to leave it be!
Then, during the week, I caught myself working on a short email to another teacher for nearly 35 minutes. Later, I found myself spending another 30 mintues writing a different email. It was rediculous.
I know why I do this. During my first year of teaching, I had a very bad experience that had to do with emails. I sent an email to my boss about the janitors locking my room when I was still in the building, either when I went to the bathroom or was working in the supply room. Since I was not the only teacher having this problem, I asked her if it was possible for the teachers to lock their own rooms when we left the building. Later, she tried to use that email against me to prove that I am an insubordinate employee. It was an awful situation to be in--this only being a sliver of it-- and needless to say, aside from everything else that happened, I have become totally paranoid about any email that I ever send to anyone.
Okay, it's been fifteen minutes. Ugh!! I'm not done yet!!
So now, in an effort to avoid ever being in a pickle like that again, I scrutinize everything I write. I have really become obsessed with it. And it drives me nuts knowing that no matter what I write, and no matter how nice it sounds, someone could still take it offensively. Some of you will say, "so just talk to them in person!" But I can't go running around the school just to ask someone if they are going to have their class come to music due to holiday parties. Yes, I get obsessed and paranoid about even sending the most mundane emails.
Hopefully I can begin to get rid of this obsession by writing blog posts without obsessing over it for hours like I usually do. Hence, the reason I don't have a real title for this blog, as I usually spend too much time coming up with one. I guess I'll keep you "posted" on how getting rid of this obsession goes!
[Ahh! I have a lot of anxiety posting this with only re-reading it twice!!]
Comments
Normally, I would read it after it's posted about 5 times-part of the OCD issue-just to make sure it is perfect. But I'm challenging myself to only read it once after it's posted. Whew. That was not easy to do!
you should spend more time obsessing over sending your older sister the pics from your camera of our trip. ;-)
did you develop the whale role yet?
~desha
That said, I do hope you'll find a way to spend more time at home -- but even more importantly to be comfortable with things. Stressing out can be soooo unhealthy, and keep you from actually being a better teacher, too!
=D
Post a Comment