My Miss America Answer
Saturday's Miss America Question
President Barack Obama is the first African American president of the United States. To you, does this mean that our country has finally outgrown racism?
Contestent's Response
Yes, I think it's wonderful that our country has finally been able to break through the glass ceiling and elect a black president. I think it shows that we are moving in the right direction as a nation.
Here is MY response- busting the 20 second time limit
Well, John, I think by asking this question you show that many of us are still struggling to remove our focus from the fact that Obama is black and put more focus on the merit of his policies and character. After his acceptance speech in November and his inagural speech on Monday, most of the comments that I heard from reporters and common citizens were about how they never thought this day would come and how amazing it is that he his black. To me, this shows two things. 1) American's have very little faith in themselves and the American dream. 2) America is focusing more on the color of our president than what he stands for, which, ironically, is what racism is based on.
The Faithless American Dream
Honestly, if you asked me a year ago if I ever thought I'd see the day when America would have a black president, I would have said YES and that it would be a female black president. (In fact, I remember telling this to my fifth grade teacher). I know that even though the American "system" isn't perfect, we've made huge strides in treating people of every color and background equally. I suppose some people thought "this day" would never come because of the oppression they have experienced. I won't deny that they experience oppression, but I ask, where was their faith in the American dream and the American people and ultimately themselves?
To some, their faith in the American dream rested in Obama himself. "He helped show the nation that anyone can achieve greatness, no matter his race." Shouldn't this be something we believe regardless of Obama becoming president?? Let's keep in mind that he didn't achieve greatness because a bunch of white or black guys suddenly changed the way America works. His mom taught him moral principles, she sent him to good schools, she made him accountable for his choices and he developed a desire to make a difference. Then he worked his butt off to do it--just like every other white, brown, yellow and red person that has made a difference.
The more I work with children and families of diverse backgrounds, the more I learn that the American dream is real for those that live by it's precepts: Morality, Education, Hard Work, and Wise Money Management. Most inequality comes from people either not knowing the proper formula or refusing to apply it in their lives, not because it is impossible to achieve.
Focus on the BLACK President
I feel like all of the focus on Barack being black has made our nation take two steps BACK, not forward. If we really believe that any man or woman can achieve high status based on his/her merits, then why aren't we talking about Barack's merits!?!? Why aren't we discussing his policies? I support Obama because of his knowledge, hard work, proactivity, and concern for the average American. I notice a lot of good he has done and really commend him for always working to make change. Can we talk about THAT!? If people really voted for him on these terms, then why didn't they say so when interviewed at the polls? Why did they simply comment on how badly they wanted to finally have a black president? That sounds racist to me.
Furthermore, if we believe in equality, then let's start treating Barack with the same scrutiny and judgement that we give all of our politicians! My concern is that all this talk about Obama being the first black president is clouding our vision. I'm afraid we will let our gaurd down and accept anything the Obama Administration does because, afterall, he's the first black guy to ever do this, so he must be doing it right.
It worries me that he allowed reporters and news stations in his office to witness every piece of legislation he signed this week EXCEPT for the legislation that gave more money to organizations that support abortion. Why did he hide from the press on this issue? Why isn't anyone taking a second look at this? Even if you agree with abortion, shouldn't you be a little concerned that the President did not allow the press to witness this signing? Don't we want a president that is confident in what he does, even if he approaches disagreement?
Please, let's not withhold our criticism toward Obama beacuse we're afraid of being called racist.
And when the next election comes around and we happen to elect a white president, let's sure as heck not say that we are taking two steps back because we no longer have a black president. By saying that, we really would be taking two steps back!
President Barack Obama is the first African American president of the United States. To you, does this mean that our country has finally outgrown racism?
Contestent's Response
Yes, I think it's wonderful that our country has finally been able to break through the glass ceiling and elect a black president. I think it shows that we are moving in the right direction as a nation.
Here is MY response- busting the 20 second time limit
Well, John, I think by asking this question you show that many of us are still struggling to remove our focus from the fact that Obama is black and put more focus on the merit of his policies and character. After his acceptance speech in November and his inagural speech on Monday, most of the comments that I heard from reporters and common citizens were about how they never thought this day would come and how amazing it is that he his black. To me, this shows two things. 1) American's have very little faith in themselves and the American dream. 2) America is focusing more on the color of our president than what he stands for, which, ironically, is what racism is based on.
The Faithless American Dream
Honestly, if you asked me a year ago if I ever thought I'd see the day when America would have a black president, I would have said YES and that it would be a female black president. (In fact, I remember telling this to my fifth grade teacher). I know that even though the American "system" isn't perfect, we've made huge strides in treating people of every color and background equally. I suppose some people thought "this day" would never come because of the oppression they have experienced. I won't deny that they experience oppression, but I ask, where was their faith in the American dream and the American people and ultimately themselves?
To some, their faith in the American dream rested in Obama himself. "He helped show the nation that anyone can achieve greatness, no matter his race." Shouldn't this be something we believe regardless of Obama becoming president?? Let's keep in mind that he didn't achieve greatness because a bunch of white or black guys suddenly changed the way America works. His mom taught him moral principles, she sent him to good schools, she made him accountable for his choices and he developed a desire to make a difference. Then he worked his butt off to do it--just like every other white, brown, yellow and red person that has made a difference.
The more I work with children and families of diverse backgrounds, the more I learn that the American dream is real for those that live by it's precepts: Morality, Education, Hard Work, and Wise Money Management. Most inequality comes from people either not knowing the proper formula or refusing to apply it in their lives, not because it is impossible to achieve.
Focus on the BLACK President
I feel like all of the focus on Barack being black has made our nation take two steps BACK, not forward. If we really believe that any man or woman can achieve high status based on his/her merits, then why aren't we talking about Barack's merits!?!? Why aren't we discussing his policies? I support Obama because of his knowledge, hard work, proactivity, and concern for the average American. I notice a lot of good he has done and really commend him for always working to make change. Can we talk about THAT!? If people really voted for him on these terms, then why didn't they say so when interviewed at the polls? Why did they simply comment on how badly they wanted to finally have a black president? That sounds racist to me.
Furthermore, if we believe in equality, then let's start treating Barack with the same scrutiny and judgement that we give all of our politicians! My concern is that all this talk about Obama being the first black president is clouding our vision. I'm afraid we will let our gaurd down and accept anything the Obama Administration does because, afterall, he's the first black guy to ever do this, so he must be doing it right.
It worries me that he allowed reporters and news stations in his office to witness every piece of legislation he signed this week EXCEPT for the legislation that gave more money to organizations that support abortion. Why did he hide from the press on this issue? Why isn't anyone taking a second look at this? Even if you agree with abortion, shouldn't you be a little concerned that the President did not allow the press to witness this signing? Don't we want a president that is confident in what he does, even if he approaches disagreement?
Please, let's not withhold our criticism toward Obama beacuse we're afraid of being called racist.
And when the next election comes around and we happen to elect a white president, let's sure as heck not say that we are taking two steps back because we no longer have a black president. By saying that, we really would be taking two steps back!
Comments
Post a Comment