Prop 8 Discussions- 3 Profound Videos

I know what you're thinking. "SarahLynn has really become a fanatic about Prop 8." But the truth is that I am passionate about preserving marriage. I realize that many of you are from outside of CA, but I hope you understand what a battle Prop 8 has become out here! Unfortunately, on both sides of the debate, unkind things have been said, people have organized groups to steal posters of the opposing view, and the campaign commercials are running constantly on TV. A testimony that whatever happens will have a huge effect on society. It's up to us to make sure the effect will be positive.

Jeremy and I have not been spared any of the excitement. We've been walking, delivering posters, blogging (thanks for your votes on our poll!), talking with friends, and displaying our own signs. Unlike you wonderful readers, some of our neighbors don't respect our freedom of speech as seen in this youtube clip. On Monday, someone posted a rather unkind note on our window, trying to cover up our Yes on Prop 8 sign. They said that we should take it down. "Just because you are ignorant on this matter does not mean that you have to display it..." Also, my Yes on Prop 8 bumper sticker is mysteriously missing two days after I put it on the back of my car. (Can you imagine what that theft scene must have looked like?)

To my dear neighbors and others that are stealing signs: Please respect our right of free speech. Although we may disagree on Prop 8, I would never dream of stealing your signs or asking you to remove them from your personal property. That isn't right or constitutional. If you have disagreements, why don't you come and talk with us instead of doing exactly what you accuse me and other Prop 8 supporters of--name calling and labeling? To answer your concerns about my supposed ignorance and intolerance, I ask you to watch the following videos.

To ALL my viewers, please watch these videos and let's talk about it--kindly. It would really help if we got comments from both sides, as it often inaccurately appears that more people don't support traditional marriage. Let's get an accurate representation on this issue!

Three Great Questions, Three Great Answers
(If the videos aren't working, you can find them on preservingmarriage.org)
I'm sick and tired of the intolerance and bigotry of religious people...


Won't Prop 8 take rights away from gay people?


Really, what's the harm with same-sex marriage?

Comments

Starla said…
I got some "hate-mail" on my blog for posting something about Prop 8. I find it very interesting that I would NEVER dream of doing that to someone who blogged no on prop 8, and yet I am the one being accused of being unconstitutional or fanatical or whatever.

You and I have just as much "free speech" to post YES on Prop 8 as those who disagree.

The difference between me and them, is I have enough dignity and tolerance to respect other people's views and they do not. You want to talk about being intolerant???? Let's talk about how people voting no cannot respect or be tolerant of those who don't agree with them. Let's talk about that....
Hello,
I found you on Toms comment page. I have been trying a couple of times explaining why prop 8 will have a profound effect if it doesn't pass. I am grateful for your comment since it has seemed that only "hate on 8" people have been agreeing with him. It's always great to see people listen to the prophets voice when he spoke about putting all of our means and efforts toward prop 8. I have been really surprised to see even church memebrs against prop 8. Even to the extent of putting out a blog about it. Good luck with your circle of influence.
Anonymous said…
How do I balance the need for society to bind gay couples into committed relationships, while at the same time protecting the age-old sanctity of traditional marriage?

It’s simple. Call a gay life commitment something else. Something close to marriage. Call it “gayriage.”

Gayriage is the perfect compromise for both sides of the Proposition 8 battle. Just as women and men as genders are equal, yet different, couples in marriages and gayriages would have all the same rights and privileges. They’re just different.

As I understand, gay couples in California can already have all the rights and privileges of heterosexual couples though their civil unions. It’s the law. But, I admit that “civil union” sounds very bureaucratic. But “gayriage” says it all: It’s a commitment of two men or two women to each other for life, and its more romantic.

The “Yes on 8” campaign can foresee the time when the rights of churches and believers of the Bible will be trampled on due to marriage being defined as between any two people, and lawsuits and court battles in the recent past confirm that this will happen. (National Public Radio spotlighted many of these lawsuits and civil cases in a recent story.) Schools will teach that marriage is between any two individuals, not just a man and a woman. Opponents of the measure said “hogwash” to that, but then a public elementary school class in San Francisco took a field trip to a gay marriage.

Time will tell, but it is my hope that having two different but equal names for couples’ unions will not blur the law and the genders, but rather will make things much clearer for everyone.

It certainly will make it clearer in everyday life. For example, if gayriage is instituted, no one will be confused at a party or gathering when some guy giddily pronounces, “I am gayried to a most wonderful person.” Of course, he means another guy. And, we’ll know exactly someone’s sexual orientation when a female neighbor or co-worker exclaims, “Someday, I plan to gayry.”

My name is Gary, and I will gladly and proudly let gay couples use my name to describe their commitment. I am even willing to take any snickering from less-enlightened folks – both gay and straight – about how my name means a gay union. It’s a small price to pay for some common sense on this issue.

So, when I vote yes on Proposition 8 on Nov. 4, I am voting yes to traditional marriage, peace, common sense and equality. I am also voting yes for gayriage. I hope you’ll join me.

Gary Zavoral is married to a most wonderful woman, Denece, and they have five children. They live in Citrus Heights, Calif.
Anonymous said…
I had a very disturbing experience yesterday that I would like to share with
those of you that live outside of California (or outside of the San
Francisco Bay Area).

This weekend we have stake conference. Our stake conference always begins
with a stake temple session on Friday or Thursday night. Early Friday
morning I received a call from the second counselor in our bishopric to let
me know that there would be numerous protesters outside the temple, and to
remind everyone to stay calm and to drive carefully. The beautiful
Oakland Temple is located right across the bay from San Francisco , very
close to the city of Berkeley.

Apparently the opposition to proposition 8, the amendment that seeks to make
marriage in CA between a man and a woman again, has realized the deep
involvement of the church and begun to protest right outside of the temple
and harass temple patrons. The fastest way to get to the temple from our
house is to take the 680 freeway, but the exit is a bit tricky. The off
ramp is extremely short and straight uphill. You then make an almost blind
left turn, an immediate right and another left into the parking lot. As we
approached the off ramp, I realized there would be trouble. There was a
backup onto the freeway from cars stalled on the off ramp. As we moved
forward inches at a time, we realized this was due to a large group of loud
protesters who were standing on both sides of the street, yelling, screaming
and waving signs. When we got to the top of the offramp, ready to make our
turn, one protester jumped out right in front of our car. It took my
husband all his self control to carefully maneuver around him to the left
and proceed to the temple.

I tried not to listen to all they were shouting at us, but I was shaking as
I got to the temple front door. Several of the sisters, especially the ones
driving on their own, were crying (which made me snap out of it and go into
Relief Society President mode to comfort them). Later, as I was sitting in
the perfect quiet of the chapel, I couldn't help but think of Lehi's dream,
and the people who mocked the Saints from the big spacious building but
'we heeded them not.' It was a truly surreal experience, I'd never thought
that I would have to go through an angry crowd to get to the temple. As we
left late at night, the protesters had dispersed, temple security (who all
looked very large and Tongan) stood by the gates. I never saw a single
police man.

Please pray for those of us in California fighting for prop 8--it's getting
kind of scary out here!

Popular posts from this blog

4th of July

Spring Break

A Happy New Year