The Woes of Being Unemployed
Well, Jeremy is doing great with his career, but I've basically been shooting the breeze out here for the last two months. Yeah, I've got my Sing Me English project, a new calling at church, and a bunch of goals to keep me occupied. But without a job, things have been pretty solitary-- and at times depressing-- for me. Needless to say, it is a little weird being a stay at home mom without actually being a mom. My biggest decision lately has been whether I should watch TV or read a book before I go to the pool. I do a lot of blogging, email, bill paying and cleaning. (I never realized how much laundry two people can create in a week!)
Although not having accountability to anyone was a luxury the first week or two, I'm getting antsy to have a real job. But not just any job, I want to be doing what I am passionate about, what I spent 5 years in college for. I want to be bringing joy to children with music and the arts. I feel the same way I did last summer: stuck...waiting...until we're in a more permanent position.
I'm going to be a substitute teacher once school starts. It should be interesting to get a taste of education in CA. But it's VERY frustrating knowing that I will only be here in HB for 6 months. The next destination is also temporary before we will finally make it to Minnesota permanently. It feels like it will be forever before I can be a real teacher again.
I've got to trust the Lord that this fast track career plan for Jeremy will pay off in the long run. Right now, it's a good test of my faith and patience. Most of the time I feel like I'm not doing anything to improve others' lives, and that is SO frustrating. I know I have a lot to offer the world and that there is so much I can be learning out there, but it's harder to do that when we're only somewhere temporarily. Often, I find myself dwelling on this past year of teaching and wishing that I could still be with those students. They were so wonderful! When this happens, I have to tell myself to look forward. If I was able to create great experiences during my 3 months in Minnesota last summer, then with the Lord's help, I can have twice as much joy serving here. The challenge is finding such opportunities where I can get paid at the same time!
Although not having accountability to anyone was a luxury the first week or two, I'm getting antsy to have a real job. But not just any job, I want to be doing what I am passionate about, what I spent 5 years in college for. I want to be bringing joy to children with music and the arts. I feel the same way I did last summer: stuck...waiting...until we're in a more permanent position.
I'm going to be a substitute teacher once school starts. It should be interesting to get a taste of education in CA. But it's VERY frustrating knowing that I will only be here in HB for 6 months. The next destination is also temporary before we will finally make it to Minnesota permanently. It feels like it will be forever before I can be a real teacher again.
I've got to trust the Lord that this fast track career plan for Jeremy will pay off in the long run. Right now, it's a good test of my faith and patience. Most of the time I feel like I'm not doing anything to improve others' lives, and that is SO frustrating. I know I have a lot to offer the world and that there is so much I can be learning out there, but it's harder to do that when we're only somewhere temporarily. Often, I find myself dwelling on this past year of teaching and wishing that I could still be with those students. They were so wonderful! When this happens, I have to tell myself to look forward. If I was able to create great experiences during my 3 months in Minnesota last summer, then with the Lord's help, I can have twice as much joy serving here. The challenge is finding such opportunities where I can get paid at the same time!
Comments
I hope something works out for you soon, did you have to take a test to get certified in Calif? do you have to be certified to sub or no?
Post a Comment