Vacation and Wedding in DC


I went to Washington DC this past week to be at Megan Mitchell's wedding!! (now Megan Bassatt) Megan, Janae and I lived in a college apt for two years after we became friends at the BYU dorms. I also got to see Kisha, who was my dorm RA and friend at BYU, too. Her son Nathaniel is so adorable!!

Highlights of the trip:
  • Civil War battlefield in Manassas--amazing what our country endured at that time
  • Falling asleep with baby Nathaniel in my arms
  • Seeing all the green, green, green!! No wonder people called this New World the Promised Land
  • Laughing at all of Kisha's stories and impressions of people
  • Realizing that grandma Sharon loves the baby cartoons more than Nathaniel
  • Being in the temple with Megan for an endowment session--so neat to enjoy the sacred truths of the gospel with a close friend
  • Dipping my feet in the water fountain at the sculpture garden
  • Singing the preamble to the constitution while waiting to see the original constitution at the archive building
  • Walking and walking and walking from monument to monument
  • Singing "I'm just a bill on Capital Hill" from School House Rock while being on Capital Hill
  • Being at all the American places that I taught my students about
  • Lounging on the grass overlooking the DC monuments, talking with Janae and Megan
  • Remembering how great America is
  • Helping decorate for the reception
  • Drama from offering unwanted help with the table centerpieces (one of the aunt's took things a little too personally)
  • Witnessing the stresses of wedding planning. Megan, did you know that a bunch of boys were playing soccer in the reception room Sat morning?
  • Getting lost with Janae
  • Being bored while waiting for things to happen with wedding preparations
  • Sneaking to Walmart with Janae to get more supplies for decorations
  • Losing Megan's car keys in Walmart
  • Getting lost with Janae again- too many trees to tell where the heck we were
  • Going to the wrong church
  • Helping Megan get ready
  • Freaking out about being late to the temple because the tom-tom GPS had us going to two places. We do not recommend the tom-tom GPS
  • The beautiful temple marriage
  • Helping Megan in the Bride's Room
  • Pampering Megan in the outside heat while taking wedding pics
  • Gorging on yummy reception food
  • Seeing Megan so happy
  • Remembering my own wedding and missing Jeremy
  • Wrapping the groom's car with saran wrap and writing fun messages on the windows
  • Getting lost with Janae by following the wrong car to Kisha's house. We ended up following a car that pulled over as if to let us pass. When we pulled up alongside to see if it was still Kisha, the freakiest man in a black hoody with big eyes and a sucken face glared at us. We screamed and sped away. It took forever to get back to Megan's apartment without a GPS or Kisha's phone number.
  • Almost locking our luggage in Megan's apartment
  • Playing "guess my number" with Janae
  • Discussing opinions about adoption with Kisha, Isaac and Janae
  • Staying up late
  • Enjoying a surprise breakfast made by Kisha- yummy bacon!
  • Seeing how extremely attractive Jeremy is when he picked me up from the airport
Jeremy had to stay home and work. While I was gone, he told me some highlights he had:
  • Hormel meals for 6 days in a row
  • Endless Sports Center
  • Being able to leave clothes on the floor without getting in trouble
  • Golfing
  • Having the boogie board all to himself
  • No Sarahlynn Hair to clog up the shower drain
  • No accessories in the shower to accidentally knock off the rack
  • No one to tell him to take out the trash
  • No fresh vegatables or fruits with dinner
  • No one to have fun with
  • No one to talk to while he ate or worked around the house
  • No home-cooked meals
  • No beautiful smiles and funny dances to greet him when he came home from work
  • No one to cuddle with at night, not even the stuffed turtle 'cuz Sarahlynn took that, too
  • No one to play jokes with
  • No one to say "I love you" to every five minutes
I suppose Jeremy got the short end of the stick on this one! It's great to be back in Huntington Beach with Jeremy, my one true love. But I must admit that I LOVE the East Coast and hope to live there someday.

Comments

Holly said…
Isn't it so beautiful back in DC!! I absolutely love it there. We went in January...I was 8 months pregnant (I wouldn't suggest THAT plane ride in THAT condition)! haha. We want to love there too...maybe someday! Until then, it will just be a dream of ours!
Kelly said…
What?! Megan got married?! I would have soo driven down there to see all of you guys. I wish I had known. I live only 4 hours away! sniff sniff :(
birthMOM said…
Nathaniel is SO cute, aren't black babies the best?!?! how old is he? I wanna here about your "adoption opinions" you discussed! heehee megans dress was pretty, did she make it/alter it, it had a pretty neckline detailing on it... jeez sarah you couldn't even leave the turtle, poor jeremy!

you were in DC 4 years ago with us, did you forget all the green and prettiness there? ;)

Popular posts from this blog

4th of July

A Happy New Year

Summer Begins!