Earthquake!!!
*** Things in quotes are comments that were actually said by TV reporters yesterday.
TV Reporter: Good afternoon, America. Today is July 29. Only a few moments after lunch "We witnessed a torrential seismic event here in Los Angeles." I'm with SarahLynn Zavoral of Huntington Beach. Sarahlynn, did you feel the earthquake?
Me: Yeah. I heard rumbling and thought that the people in the apt above me were going crazy, but then I remembered that we are on the top floor! Next, I thought that a large cart was being pushed down the hall. But then the furniture started tinkering and I felt motion right under me. I realized that I was in an earthquake!
TV Reporter: What did you do? "When we felt the quake, we were terrified. I had to look around the newsroom to see what others were doing." Were you scared?
Me: Well, I'm a teacher, and this past year I taught a science unit on plate tectonics and earthquakes. So I knew exactly what to do. I sprang from the couch and stood in the nearest doorway. My heart was pounding, but I wasn't necessarily scared. I did think for a moment, "If this is the Second Coming, am I ready? Yeah, I said my prayers and read the bible today, so I should be good."
TV Reporter: Well, that's good news. How long did the shaking last? What did it feel like?
Me: Some reporters say that it lasted for 30-40 seconds, which is actually a really long time. No offense, but I think they're exaggerating. The shaking probably lasted less than 10 seconds. I would say it felt like a very bad wind storm was shaking the house while a big party of people were dancing around up stairs. Then it died down and I felt gentle rocking, like being on a lake boat.
TV Reporter: "Now, we're trying to get in contact with the city fired department about what efforts are being done to stop any fires or fix broken electricity lines." What damage occurred in your home?
Me: Well, you have to remember that even though it was a 5.4 earthquake, LA is 30 miles west of the epicenter in Chino Hills. And all of the buildings in Southern CA are specifically designed to withstand earthquakes. The biggest damage I witnessed was a small picture on the piano that fell over. Have you heard any reports of injuries or damage to buildings?
TV Reporter: Fortunately, we have not. But "experts say that this was a strong siesmic event. It is the first major earthquake since 1994. We aren't used to being jerked out of our socks like we were." I'm glad to hear that you are safe. How is the rest of your family and friends?
Me: Actually, my husband was in San Diego for the day and didn't feel a thing. He's really bummed that he didn't feel it.
TV Reporter: Well, thank you for your time, Mrs. Zavoral. As you can see, it was a "very tragic event" for the people in LA. I'm reporter Exag Gerater. Back to you, John!
TV Reporter: Good afternoon, America. Today is July 29. Only a few moments after lunch "We witnessed a torrential seismic event here in Los Angeles." I'm with SarahLynn Zavoral of Huntington Beach. Sarahlynn, did you feel the earthquake?
Me: Yeah. I heard rumbling and thought that the people in the apt above me were going crazy, but then I remembered that we are on the top floor! Next, I thought that a large cart was being pushed down the hall. But then the furniture started tinkering and I felt motion right under me. I realized that I was in an earthquake!
TV Reporter: What did you do? "When we felt the quake, we were terrified. I had to look around the newsroom to see what others were doing." Were you scared?
Me: Well, I'm a teacher, and this past year I taught a science unit on plate tectonics and earthquakes. So I knew exactly what to do. I sprang from the couch and stood in the nearest doorway. My heart was pounding, but I wasn't necessarily scared. I did think for a moment, "If this is the Second Coming, am I ready? Yeah, I said my prayers and read the bible today, so I should be good."
TV Reporter: Well, that's good news. How long did the shaking last? What did it feel like?
Me: Some reporters say that it lasted for 30-40 seconds, which is actually a really long time. No offense, but I think they're exaggerating. The shaking probably lasted less than 10 seconds. I would say it felt like a very bad wind storm was shaking the house while a big party of people were dancing around up stairs. Then it died down and I felt gentle rocking, like being on a lake boat.
TV Reporter: "Now, we're trying to get in contact with the city fired department about what efforts are being done to stop any fires or fix broken electricity lines." What damage occurred in your home?
Me: Well, you have to remember that even though it was a 5.4 earthquake, LA is 30 miles west of the epicenter in Chino Hills. And all of the buildings in Southern CA are specifically designed to withstand earthquakes. The biggest damage I witnessed was a small picture on the piano that fell over. Have you heard any reports of injuries or damage to buildings?
TV Reporter: Fortunately, we have not. But "experts say that this was a strong siesmic event. It is the first major earthquake since 1994. We aren't used to being jerked out of our socks like we were." I'm glad to hear that you are safe. How is the rest of your family and friends?
Me: Actually, my husband was in San Diego for the day and didn't feel a thing. He's really bummed that he didn't feel it.
TV Reporter: Well, thank you for your time, Mrs. Zavoral. As you can see, it was a "very tragic event" for the people in LA. I'm reporter Exag Gerater. Back to you, John!
Comments
Post a Comment